FORMAT of the COMPETITION
In it's first year, the competition has two main categories:
- To produce an original major work of approximately twelve to thirteen minutes in duration scored for standard British Brass Band instrumentation — see the instrumentation page for exact instrumentation.
- To produce an original work of no more than five minutes in duration scored for standard British Brass Band instrumentation — see the instrumentation page for exact instrumentation.
The rules of the competition are simple, and are as follows:
- BandComposition.com will accept two entries from any one individual in total.
- Anyone can enter the competition, there are no age or geographical restrictions.
- The work must be an original work which has not previously been published, be the work of one individual and free from any copyright restrictions.
- Any musical style is acceptable with the exception of March style, since it is considered that there exists a wealth of this type of repertoire already.
- Scores must be submitted in printed and electronic format. To clarify this point, you must submit a standard computer generated printed score and a version of the score saved in Sibelius or Finale software format and submitted either on a CD or data stick. Additionally a short Programme Note should be included giving some background information on your composition with regard to style / form and inspiration.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of four Scottish based Brass Band musicians who share the common interest of encouraging new quality repertoire for Brass Band. They are Nigel Boddice, Andrew Duncan, Nigel Durno and Bruce Fraser.
- Entries must reach a minimum standard of skill / craftsmanship for an award to be made in either category.
- The winning composition(s) will be announced on the bandcomposition.com website on Saturday 24th of August 2013.
A cash prize of £500.00 will be awarded to the winner of the 12–minute category and £250 will be awarded to the winner of the 5–minute category. Additionally, the winning work(s) will be published by Just Music, given a public performance by one of the UK's top Brass Bands and recorded on CD.
All entries must be received by Friday 28th of June 2013. Late entries will not be accepted.
Please use the entry form on this site to enter the competition.